The quick and easy weeknight meals series starts today with a delicious and easy Tex-Mex Casserole. Since I wasn’t searching for recipes following specific dietary guidelines, I was surprised to find this low carb recipe (source). We made it last week and it is both quick and delicious. Try it yourself and let me know what you think!
Tex-Mex Casserole Recipe
Total Time: 30-35 minutes
Serves: 4 adults
- 1.5 lbs (700g) ground beef (could sub turkey)
- 7 oz (200g) crushed tomatoes
- pickled jalapeños
- shredded or sliced cheese (Monterey Jack or similar)
- Sour cream
- 2 scallions, chopped
- taco seasoning (making your own and keeping it in a jar is a great option)
Mix together spices such as chili powder (couldn’t find this), paprika (both regular and spicy if you have those options), cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt. Use whatever proportions you enjoy or use the proportions found in the original recipe.
- Preheat oven (400 F or 200 C) and mix up your taco seasoning (if you’re making your own).
- Brown the meat then add the taco seasoning and tomatoes.
- Layer in a baking dish: meat mix, sliced jalapeños, and cheese. Bake 20 minutes.
- Mix the sour cream and chives while it cooks
Serve with the sour cream, guacamole, and a side salad or veggie of your choosing. Tortillas or tortilla chips would also make a nice side.
Check back Thursday for another easy weeknight recipe.
News and Other Updates
- Be sure to sign up for the newsletter (right side of this page) to receive notifications of new posts (never more than one a week, only when new recipes are posted, and you can stop at any time).
- Several of you mentioned that you have your own easy family favorites. To share, send them to me at crossroadhealth (at) gmail.com