While it might seem strange to post a recipe for popcorn, I have several reasons for wanting to share this. First of all, microwave popcorn is basically nonexistent here and any popcorn we do happen to find is more like kettle corn. While I don’t mind “sweet” popcorn every now and then, I don’t prefer it on a regular basis. Second, this popcorn tastes much better than microwave or air popped and takes 10 minutes max to prepare.
- oil/fat (olive, avocado, ghee/butterschmalz), probably about 1-2 Tablespoons, although you can manage without in a pinch
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- salt, melted butter, or other optional toppings
- You’ll need a pot with a lid. I like to use one that is plenty big to allow the kernels to expand without being smushed.
- Heat the pan and oil/fat over medium heat. When it seems to be warm add three kernels to the pan (place the lid on). You can swirl the pan around every so often if you like. Once 2-3 of the kernels pop you can add in the rest. Make sure the lid is on. Swirl the pot around to stir every so often, especially when the kernels start popping rapidly.
- When there are a few seconds between each pop you’ll need to pull the pan off the heat and remove the lid. Toss with salt and melted butter, if desired.
- Random tip: if you want “cheesy” tasting popcorn but don’t want the dairy then try using nutritional yeast flakes.