I know I just posted a tortilla recipe with sausage a few weeks ago, but I had another one I wanted to share. If you’re new here (or to the concept of a Spanish tortilla), it is basically a pan or oven cooked egg dish like a frittata. They commonly contain potatoes, as this one does. I usually like to just pour mine in a baking dish after preparing the ingredients because it is easier for me to just walk away and check on it in 15 minutes. I found the recipe here.
- 1 1/4 cup firm potatoes, peeled and diced (I did mine in about 1/4 inch cubes, though the recipe recommends 1/2)
- 3 Tablespoons butter (preferably unsalted, but if you don’t have that around just use less salt)
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (flat leaf Italian works best, but I only had the normal “curly leaf”. If you have neither then use about a teaspoon of dried or skip it.)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (I didn’t want to buy fresh thyme for just a teaspoon so I used a pinch of dried)
- 1 medium-large white/yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup of packed spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Manchego (if you’re unfamiliar, this is an aged cheese made from sheep’s milk. They sell it in big chunks at Costco if you live in the US. If you can’t find it pecorino can be a good substitute. If you can’t find that either then try swiss.)
- Place the potato chunks in a microwave-safe bowl with a loose-fitting lid. Add a couple splashes of water and a tablespoon of butter to the dish. Place the lid on and microwave for 3 1/2 minutes. Stir (careful with the steam!) and repeat for 3 1/2 minutes or until fork tender. Carefully drain and set aside. [Boil in a pan if you don’t have a microwave.]
- Whisk the eggs, salt and pepper, herbs, and cheese together in a bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the onions in a saucepan until translucent. If you’re going to finish it in the oven then be sure to use an oven safe pan. Add in the potatoes and give a quick stir. Add in the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Here you have several choices: 1) Pour over the egg mix and finish it on low heat on the stove until the eggs cook (you just have to watch the bottom so it doesn’t burn). 2) Pour over the egg mix and stick it in this pan (if it is oven safe) in the oven until the eggs are cooked (10-15 minutes at 400 F /200 C) or 3) Pour everything in a buttered baking dish, stir a bit, and bake at 400 F (300 C) for about 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.
- This makes about 4 servings. The website also suggests the option of using this as a side dish. In that case it would be about 6 servings.