This is an easy and tasty side that can be thrown together in a few minutes and tossed in the oven. Even if you think you don’t like beets, try roasting them in the oven. It brings out a nice sweetness, especially with the roasted oranges. You don’t need to peel anything, but if the orange peels are especially bitter you may not want to eat them.
- A few beets (it depends how many you want to serve. I did 5 small-medium beets and it worked well as a side for 2 adults and a toddler with leftovers)
- 2 oranges
- fresh rosemary
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Scrub the beets well, cut the ends off, and slice into thin slices (maybe 1/4 an inch or less).
- Wash the oranges and slice the same thickness.
- Toss with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary.
- Spread on a sheet pan and roast at 400 F (200 C) for about 20-30 minutes.
I like to serve this with pesto chicken and a leafy green vegetable, but it would go well with anything on the grill.