I’ve been experimenting lately with trying other morning beverages that aren’t coffee. When I want something more comforting that green tea, this is a great choice. I originally started making this when we lived in Hawaii, before the recent matcha craze. You can find match powder online or in quality supermarkets or Asian stores.
– ½ teaspoon – 1 1/4 teaspoons matcha powder (start small and add more if needed. With better-quality matcha you’ll probably need less. With more milk you’ll probably need more.
– about 2 Tablespoons hot water
– 6-8 oz milk of your choice (I use almond or coconut.)
– pinch cinnamon (optional)
– Place the matcha powder in a small saucepan (or bowl if you want to microwave). Pour over 2 (ish) tablespoons of hot water and whisk until combined. Add in a cup of milk and heat until warm but not boiling. Add a pinch of cinnamon and honey to taste. Different kinds of matcha have different properties; more expensive ones tend to be sweeter, while cheaper ones can be a bit bitter. If you don’t like the bitterness just add more honey. You can also serve this over ice in warmer months.
You can also use matcha powder to make other dishes such as green tea ice cream, smoothies, etc.