Have you tried halloumi? It is a springy cheese that you cook either on the grill or in a pan before eating. It has a firm and slightly springy texture that goes great with fresh textures and flavors. Here in Germany you can find it in every grocery store for just a few Euros per package. In the US you may have to hunt for it a bit, but it is well worth it. It might be called grilling cheese or something similar.
This salad recipe originally comes from this cookbook (which I found used a few years ago for several dollars), but the ingredients are a fairly popular pairing. I simplified the ingredients a bit because most of us aren’t shopping at specialty stores or markets with 20 varieties of tomatoes and cucumbers… The salad also contains lentils, which I am normally not a huge fan of, but beluga lentils that have been sprouted are tasty and easier to digest. (Then I cook them in chicken or veggie broth until they’re tender.)
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Serves 2 hungry adults and one toddler or maybe 3 adults.
- 1 large or two medium cucumbers, sliced into half or quarter circles
- 4 tomatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped (all stores were out of this so I skipped it this time, but it is so much better with it)
- 1 cup cooked beluga (black) lentils (I can find these at my tiny neighborhood grocery and they are my favorite. If you can’t find beluga lentils then use Puy or green lentils. Don’t use pink/red/orange lentils because they will fall apart. Sprout a few days in advance if desired. You want these to be cooled to room temperature.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1 package (7ish ounces?) halloumi, sliced
- Place the first seven ingredients in a bowl and stir together.
- Season with salt and pepper (don’t overdo the salt because the cheese is salty).
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat (you can add a splash of olive oil if you want). Sauté the cheese for a few minutes on each side until it is medium brown.
- Serve together on a plate. Enjoy!